06 July 2008

Pulling the Hamstring


As an FYI, I'd like to report that the pulled hamstring really blows. And thanks to the wonder of Wikipedia and WebMD, who needs a doctor?! I can just self-diagnose and self-treat. Of course, I'll probably wind up crippled applying the RICE method to my recovery, but given the state of the American medical system, I won't get into to see my doctor until early 2009, unless of course I'm bleeding out an eye or having a real boss heart attack and then I can go to the ER, only to be told to wait in line behind some uninsured folks that are there for the sniffles. The issue of medical care in the US can be relegated to another post for another time.

Anyway, here's what led to the pulled pork muscle:

That's me crossing the finish line at the Mundelein July 4 5K (gracias to Shari for whipping out the cell phone cam and for getting up early and driving nearly to Wisconsin to support me in her new role as Race Supporter Extraordinaire!) where I finished my third 5K and it was a great race. Mundelein did a fantastic job with organization and volunteers. BTW - they gave away the best race shirts! Anyway, I'd been having some pain in the back of my left leg earlier in the week as I'd been running, but in typical male, over age 40 fashion, I ignored it. Further I ignored the fact that when I started the race, my left leg was kind of flapping in the wind, as if it was ignoring the signals my brain was sending it. Is that bad? Well if it was, I didn't care. I went on to finish my race. The leg didn't bother me as I ran. As soon as I stopped though, it was screaming like an eleven year old girl at a Jo'Bro's concert (for the uninitiated or torture-free, depending on your perspective, of course I am referring to the Jonas Brothers).

I continued to ignore that little red flag in order to go to Indiana for the rest of the holiday weekend. We met up with friends at Michigan City, IN where we camped (note to self - if you sleep on a California King mattress at home, upgrade the camping air mattress from a queen to the king for you and your wife, I'm just saying) and jet-skiied on Lake Michigan. Weather was amazingly good and we had a great 4th in little LaPorte, Indiana watching their fire works show. Indiana is a funny place...it only takes about three seconds to be in the middle of nowhere from anywhere in that state.

So it's Sunday and I am contemplating the hike up the stairs now. Each step on the stairs is an invitation to jabs o'pain. I can't wait. One thing I won't be doing is any significant movement, like spinning. And that makes an appropriate selection for today's 80s throwback video. I unleash on you the horror that is Pete Burns and his/her band Dead or Alive and "You Spin Me Round":(note to JML - request granted. Any others, just let me know!)

3 comments:

heidi said...

That's too bad about the hammy. Hope you're able to give yourself rehab. Our doctor here for Darin and I works about 10 minutes a week we calculated and we now just go straight to urgent care when we need help. I finally got wise and changed--
When I ran a few weeks ago my hip hurt so bad I wanted to cry the last mile. It flares up every now and then. Injuries make me feel old. Great job on three 5k's. That's awesome! I just picked my game back up and am sore as a result. But Love the hurt--

BTW your post a few days ago about bangkok left me singing that song for about 2 days straight...this new one will probably do the same!

jill said...

Michael...thanks for coming through with the video. Hard to believe that I actually liked this song at one time. It just makes me laugh. Rest up that leg so you can get back at it.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
How the heck are you my friend? Would love to chat sometime...Give my best to the family. Drop me an email when you have a second: mdunford@wellspublishing.com

Mitch Dunford