28 March 2009

IL. Spring Break = Winter Weather Advisory

Spring Break officially began yesterday for my kids. And when I logged off the work laptop at 530PM yesterday, my spring break began as well. My employer requires that certain groups of employees take a "core" leave - wherein there's no checking email, voicemail, or the 'Berry for five (5) consecutive days. I'm in one of those groups and normally I take it in the fall so that the stunningly patient SML and I can get away around my birthday but this year is different. I'm taking it early so we can join the rest of IL in getting the heck out of here. I'm not even taking the 'Berry - especially after the fatwa that was issued by my family against it. And the timing for a break could not be any better, quite frankly. Why? Read for yourselves - courtesy of our friends at weather.com:

Winter Weather Advisory for Dupage County, IL

from 7 pm CDT, Sat., Mar. 28, 2009 until 1 pm CDT, Sun., Mar. 29, 2009
Local Radar Map

What's This?
Updated 28 Mar 2009 12:10 pm Local Time

Issued by The National Weather Service
Chicago, IL
11:47 am CDT, Sat., Mar. 28, 2009

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM CDT SUNDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM CDT SUNDAY.

RAIN WILL MOVE INTO NORTH CENTRAL... NORTHEAST ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA THIS AFTERNOON. BY LATE AFTERNOON THE RAIN WILL BE MIXED WITH SLEET. THE RAIN AND SLEET IS EXPECTED TO BECOME SNOW TONIGHT. THE MAXIMUM SNOW FALL WILL BE BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 6 AM CDT SUNDAY MORNING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM AROUND 5 INCHES AROUND CAROL STREAM ILLINOIS TO 2 INCHES IN VALPARAISO INDIANA. THE SNOW WILL BE WET AND HEAVY.

THERE WILL BE A NORTH TO NORTHEAST WIND 30 TO 35 MPH TONIGHT AND EARLY SUNDAY. DRIVING MAY BE DIFFICULT.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT A COMBINATION OF SNOW AND SLEET WILL RESULT IN SLIPPERY ROADWAYS AND CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS AND USE CAUTION WHILE TRAVELING.
More Information

... LOCALLY HEAVY SNOWFALL EXPECTED TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING...

Seriously. Snow. Mercifully we are not on an early flight tomorrow, instead we are on a late afternoon flight. Hopefully the crews at ORD can keep things on a fairly even keel tomorrow. We really need to get the heck out of here, so we can plunge ourselves into a family version of this muck:

I'd like to point out that I don't recall a BYU Spring Break like this since A) there is not Spring Break at the "Y" and B) it's BYU and really not conducive to your typical university spring break shenanigans.

Yep, we're off to the nuttiest state in the country and I know of where I speak. It's where all the nation's flotsam and jetsam flows. I left it 1987 and pretty much wrote it off as the capital of crazy. But you know what, it's not snowing and it's not cold. It's a break from this madness. Bring it! Will try and post while on the road.

No comments: