27 April 2009

Bacon...don't let swine flu get you down

Can I just tell you how DONE I am with swine flu? While I am pleased to report that no one I know is afflicted (and frankly given all the time I've spent in some of the swine "hot" zones, I'm probably ripe for it), I am up to my ears in swine flu at work. It started last Friday afternoon with some e-mail exchanges with some peers and then it quite literally erupted Sunday afternoon as soon as I got home from Church. Stupid 'berry full of emails and voicemails. I didn't even get a chance to change out of my church-going finery. It was straight into the home office, dinner in hand, to work the issues. It was obvious too that my Monday work at home day was done too.

So in I went this morning. Again, all day on calls, meetings with colleagues across the globe, working the issues and our responses and providing employee assistance. It's been a lovely day. And now that the WHO has decided to essentially call it a pandemic, now tomorrow will be super-not-fun.

Now I am very sorry about those people that have gotten sick and died from the influenza. That's no good. I am, however, also concerned about the impact that this is having on the most wonderful of all things pork, bacon. I love bacon. Is there nothing it can't cure?

I think we can for the most part agree that bacon is awesome. And now, it is being sullied something awful by swine flu. There is no way you can get swine flu from eating bacon. You simply can't. I would argue that the more time you spend eating bacon, the less time you are out in the sneezy, contagious public - hence lessening chances of getting some ailment. Of course, you're probably ripe for some other ailment but that's another story. In scouring the web for all things bacon, I've discovered blogs dedicated to its glory and goodness; bacon bras (I'm not kidding about that - I wish I was); bacon photo galleries; just plain goodness. This gem took the top spot:
I'd floss 40 times a day!

Who needs mint-flavored floss when there's this? Good grief - this eliminates any excuse for not flossing! See...it's like I said, is there nothing bacon can't cure? Well, this much I know, bacon's been through it before, and it will survive this brush with infamy as well.

No comments: