18 April 2009

Those cheeky, talented Brits

While I was in China last week, Our Lady of BYU sent me a link to a YouTube clip of some woman called Susan Boyle. Since I was on my Blackberry, I couldn't play the clip (well I could but I didn't want to pay the international roaming charges). All Our Lady said was you'll be surprised. By all that's holy, she's right. Have you seen the clip? Well, stupid YouTube (Fascists/Hypocrites! Seriously, who do they think they are?) have disabled all ability to embed ANY of the clips related to this woman, so click on the link above to give it a go. I'd just like to point out that I wish they'd be as vigilant in monitoring the really hideous stuff that seems to get through their stupid site as they are things like this. So much for their owner, Google's mantra, do no evil.

All right, first things first, to look at, she's a trainwreck. And we all judged accordingly, but what a voice! She blew out the performing hall and I know that my jaw hit the ground the minute she started to sing. I honestly thought she was lipsynching at first. It's an amazing performance. Now, it could be a flash in the pan. Who knows?

It's not the first time this show, "Britain's Got Talent" has found a trainwreck and turned it into something amazing. A couple of years ago, the same show had a bloke on called Paul Potts. When he walked onto the stage, it was the same reaction. You took one look at him and thought, "Oh my. No good can come from this." Well, look what happened:

So this guy has since sold over two million albums and is soon to release another one. The clip is classic - watching Simon Cowell midway through, you can see his head spinning, thinking "How am I going to turn this mess into a cash cow?"

Anyway, both talented people. Incredible voices. Nice reminder about judging a book by its cover. English food=bad. English village singers=good, really good.

1 comment:

Julia said...

I know can you believe it? Hope you are feeling better.