17 September 2009

Finding normalcy

With apologies to the 1920 presidential campaign of Warren Harding, I'm going to use the word 'normalcy' here. Normalcy is what I'm after while I've been with my Mom since my Dad's death two weeks ago today. How strange to write those words and to think that it's been two weeks. It's a daunting task to try and bring a sense of normalcy to the life of someone who's lost their spouse of more than 50 years with no warning. But I think we are getting there.

Since arriving here on the the 4th, it's all been about getting my Mom settled into her new life and routine without my Dad. I've been amazed by the outpouring of love and concern shown to my Mom by literally hundreds of people. It's been amazing. My brother, sister, and I are in the unique position of not knowing what to do with all the offers.

I am so proud of my Mom and how she has gone from strength to strength during this traumatic experience. With each visit from a friend or card in the mail, Mom seems tap another vein of strength. I am in awe of her. I am also really proud of how we've pulled together as a family to find the best solutions for Mom going forward. I am confident she's going to be OK. I'm feeling a lot better about heading home this weekend. A lot.

No comments: