12 August 2010

NBTA - A Quick Recap (Photo update 8/13/10)

So the blog went dark for a week. My apologies. It's been quite a week. I've been in Houston, where it could not have been hotter or more humid, for about a week for the National Business Travel Association Conference and Exposition. The convention is THE event of the year for corporate travel management professionals from all over the world. I've been involved in this association for many years now and have had the honor of serving on its Board and was elected as its Vice President. I've made many wonderful friendships and it was great to see all these good people again.

It was a week of learning and great experiences. Like the "Gospel Brunch" at the House of Blues:
This woman can belt out the praises, can I just tell you?

Suffice to say, these guys were a break for me from my normal Sunday services. During the praising, I leaned over to a friend of mine (actually one of my first bosses when I got in the business more than twenty years ago) and said, "Well, this sure makes the Mo'Tab look tame." Frankly, I've decided that our church services could use some livening up. I have half a mind to bring these guys up to put some serious spirit into the singing of "The Spirit of God," but that's for another day.

There were some great speakers, including former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice. Regardless of your politics, you came away admiring her brilliant mind and astounding sense of loyalty. She was very impressive. Sir Richard Branson was cool. Very cool. I got to meet him. And Lance Armstrong capped the week. He retold his story and framed it well as a springboard to serving others.

And the evening events were great. An amazing dinner at Brennan's one night. Dinner onstage in one of Houston's amazing theaters another. A private concert with INXS and the gang from the Virgin group. The band was absolutely awesome!
Brought back such good memories. I don't know who the new guy is, the one who replaced Michael Hutchence, but he's excellent. They put on a great show.
(08/13/10 Update - got to meet the band at a pre-event along with Sir Richard Branson. Very, very cool!)

This conference was special for me as I was awarded the NBTA President's Award. This award recognizes a member for their contributions to the association and the industry and I was so very honored to be chosen as this year's recipient. I so appreciate the recognition and I hope to continue to live up to the honor. I was touched as I walked across the stage on Monday to accept the award in front of those in attendance. It was truly an honor. As a part of the award, NBTA produced a video and it was played before I hit the stage. I was very touched by what people said. I've been beyond blessed by those around me. I really have. I hope you'll indulge me and let me share the video. Here it is:

Thank you to the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML, two of my team, Sharon and Beth, and to Jeff and Greg for being a part of this. Like I said, I'm very lucky.

2 comments:

Matt and Sarah said...

That was an awesome video. I am proud to be your daughter. Congratulations!!! You work so hard, you deserve it!

Richard Lyons said...

Mike....We are here eating dinner all together and watched your video. The entire family is so proud of you and we all say CONGRATULATIONS and we are proud of you. the whole Lyons Pride!