22 March 2012

A Man Alone

As this period of transition in the Den continues, far too often, I am a man alone. Sure, I'm surrounded by work colleagues during the day and they are good people.  After work though, when I'm ensconced in the weird world of corporate housing, I'm a man alone.

A note about the denizens of corporate housing:  since when is it appropriate to go straight from the in-house gym sweating like a stuck pig to the site's dinner line?  As information, that answer would be never.  Unfortunately, this is a lesson that has gone untaught here.

Back to the whole lone man thing...it's quiet.  There is something to be said for the peace of solitude.  It's also nice to not have to fight for the remote, although TV is becoming more and more not worth watching.  And you can only surf the internet for so long before you become acutely aware of what an abyss of nothingness it can be.

I've become incredibly grateful for texting, unlimited calling minutes, and Skype.  I talk to the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML daily.  She is handling this latest upheaval with aplomb and she makes me glad every day that she decided to marry me.  I miss seeing her every day.  I'll just be glad when we are under the same roof again.  After twenty-three years of marriage, for us, that's the way it should be.

1 comment:

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

Been there. Done that. Hated it.