17 March 2012

The ubiquity of certain things

As the Den continues its slow transition to its new environs in New England, it's given me the opportunity to start getting a feel for the place.  Since arriving here, I've noticed a couple of things - one I get and the other I don't.

First, the one I get and that is the ubiquity of Dunkin Donuts.  They are everywhere and I say that without a hint of hyperbole.  I mean it - they are on nearly every street corner, inside every mall, and I even found one today tucked behind the bullet-proof glass of the cashier booth inside a gas station off the I84. The addition of the bullet-proof glass was especially comforting.  I get why they are everywhere - the waxy film that covers your throat after swallowing a bite of one of their glazed products makes it easier to ingest the rest of the toxicity on their menu.

The second I am not getting and that is the ubiquity of the Subaru. I've never seen anything like it.  It seems like every third car is a Subaru.  And not the sedan either.  This place is stupid with Legacy wagons and Foresters.  I kid you not - these cars are everywhere here.  It's like a plague. Did Subaru cut some kind of deal with the state here to discount their cars for residents?  Sure, they are solid cars but it's not like this a year-round frozen tundra that constantly requires the attributes of the car.  I just don't get it.  I mean as I'm surrounded by a veritable wall of Subarus on the freeway, I can only think this must be what traffic looks like at the parking lot of a reunion concert of the Indigo Girls at the Lilith Fair.

I suspect I'll gain additional insights as the settling in continues.  It'll be even better when the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML and the Boy make the move.  Their perspective will serve to balance mine.  It always does.

No comments: