13 March 2012

Released

In my last post about the Boy and his Eagle, I noted that I'd been released as a member of the bishopric (lay clergy) in my local ward (think diocese) of our Church.  I'd served in that bishopric since August 2008.  Those were three and half amazing years, not because of anything I did, but because of what I learned.

As a counselor, I saw people perform acts of kindness in a ways that never called attention to themselves.  Time and again, I saw demonstrations of Christ-like love.  I was honored to learn at the feet of leaders who'd figured out how to work their lives in such a way that they could effectively balance serving God, family, and work.  I still have a long way to go in that space.  As a counselor, we were charged with helping administer so that our Bishop could minister to the needs of our flock. I'm grateful for what I learned working alongside these good people.  I will miss this association because of what I've learned.

I'm grateful for a God that gave me this opportunity to grow.  I'm grateful for all those that I interacted with during this service who were patient with me.  I'm even more grateful that they had patience with my lack of "pretense."  It was an amazing opportunity to serve.  I'm going to miss it.

4 comments:

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

Well done. Good luck with the transition. Eventually it becomes a nice thing.

Courtney said...

Kurt is currently serving as 2nd Counselor and has remarked on those same attributes and experiences. Enjoy your new home and the new callings that will surely come your way there. What a lucky ward!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
I was browsing through the blogspot and i found out this particular blog "into the lyons den".And i must say I like the posts.
Vishal
Plz find me on
http://peopleoftheglobe.blogspot.in/

Scott Hinrichs said...

Thanks for your remarks. You captured precisely how I felt a few years ago under similar circumstances. From my current vantage point, I completely agree with Middle-aged Mormon Man's comments.