When I look (obsessively) at my blog stats, the top five most widely read posts haven't changed much from those at 500. Again, it's not because of my writing. It's all about the Google Images search. And speaking of Google, here are the top five search words that have brought the unsuspecting to the Den:
- Apollo 13 crew
- apollo 13
- mowing the lawn (I'm not kidding about that one!)
- In the year 600, the population of the Earth reaches 208 million (I'm not buying this one. How does anyone know that? Where's the census on that one?)
- Smallpox arrives in Europe for the first time (lovely).
- King Ingvar of Sweden invades Estonia but is killed by the locals (perhaps this was the genesis for the Swedes overall pacifism).
- Nazca culture ends in the Andes (shoot, never got to try Nazcan empanadas!)
- The moldboard plow is invented in eastern Europe (and what a relief that was).
- Pope Gregory I codifies what comes to be known as Gregorian Chant (well without him we'd never have had that freaky one-hit wonder by a bunch of Gregorian monks). Name that band and the year!