01 June 2013

Introducing Our First Grandchild - The Baby Awesome

It is with a tremendous sense of excitement that I present to you our first grandchild, our grandson:
Benson Adelbert Asay
Benson entered the world in Provo, UT (interesting note - he was born in the same hospital where his mother, Our Lady of Awesome, was born), on Friday, May 31st, at 11:41PM. He was a little late - he'd been scheduled to be delivered by induction this Sunday. He opted to do things his way and showed up on his own on Friday. He rolled into the world weighing 9 lbs., 4 oz., and measured 21 inches. For a family that's always had little babies, he's a bit of a bruiser. Who knows where that's coming from? Maybe from his maternal grandfather's line. Or maybe it's from the muddled mystery swamp that is my gene pool since, as a 1960's adoptee, who knows what I've got swimming in my DNA.

The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML was able to be there to see him enter the world. And thanks to the glory of texting, I got plenty of updates a continent away. From the minute I got the call that things were underway, and once I stopped crying (!), it was 'game on' for baby watch. It made for a fun Friday afternoon at the office, can I just tell you/

Now, I won't give a blow-by-blow of the birth because A) I wasn't there and 2) the Awesomes will most likely tell their story on their blog at some point. But I will say this - I am awestruck at what women go through in order to bring life. It is something that we men will never, ever, ever understand. Ever. I can't effectively put into words my admiration for what women go through as they deliver a baby. And I don't think I could ever express enough gratitude that I'm not going though it. I think Our Lady of Awesome summed up the experience nicely when I talked to her about 90 minutes after she'd delivered the Baby Awesome. She said, "Yeah, don't be expecting another one of these anytime soon."

Suffice to say, we are out of our minds excited about Benson's arrival. It's been so great to see all the great comments from friends far and wide on BookFace. The opinions are pretty unanimous that being a grandparent rules and that the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML looks absolutely amazing. I won't argue with that.

I'm just beginning to wrap my mind around the fact that I have a grandson and that I am a grandfather. I cannot wait to meet him. Thursday can't get here soon enough!

Welcome to the world, Benson! You are going to do amazing things. I can't wait to watch you do those things!


This needs no caption
Benson at rest

No comments: