05 July 2013

Let It Zip!

This Independence Day-led extended weekend afforded us the opportunity to find something new to do and a few days ago, we found that something: zip lining. So this morning we took a beautiful drive up to and through northwest Massachusetts in order to LET IT ZIP! If that sounds vaguely familiar, let me give you another earworm - it's a play on the song entitled 'Let it Whip,' a one-hit, Minimoog wonder from 1982 by the Dazz Band. You're welcome.


We found ourselves at a ski resort in the Berkshire Mountains called Berkshire East this morning to embark on our seven zip line ride, or "Canopy Tour," as it is marketed. We checked in and found that there would be another family of three joining the tour. Once they arrived, we met our guides, Tony and Max, and we suited up. Suited up is a stretch. We were harnessed up. There's nothing, and I mean nothing, flattering about the placement of the harnesses. It's pretty much an angrier version of the jockstraps we were forced to wear in high school gym class. I'll spare you a visual image because I care about my good readers. Trust me, you'll thank me.

Now that we were harnessed, we made our way to the chair lift to head up the mountain. This 'selfie' is proof-positive that I should never wear hats, no matter what. I'm better off walking around like 'Massive Head Wound Harry' rather than donning a hat. Seriously.

At the first line, our guides walked us through what we needed to do and then, one by one, we were off. The Boy was the first one and he was, in one instant, a pro! The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML did great and then I was off. It was great. It was a nice rush. The views were incredible. Mercifully, the line held, too. Look how my harness is straining. I probably should have skipped breakfast.

SML looking like a pro!
The Boy brings it in
We had a really great time! Never once did we feel at risk. It was exhilarating and rewarding. Yes, rewarding. The views as we were suspended from the lines were incredible. The reward came in those views. They were spectacular. See what I mean:
Even the view from the chairlift was awesome
Suffice to say, I'm on board with this zip lining thing in a big way. If you haven't done it, do it. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: