07 July 2013

Teaching

A model class
I've noted previously how Sundays can be pretty busy days here in the Den and that's largely because it's the day we go get religion and ours is a lay clergy. So there is work to be done.

Today was one of those days where there was work to be done. It started with an hour long meeting before services began. During the second hour of services, I was teaching the adult Sunday School class. I normally don't do that but in my role at church I oversee the Sunday School and one of my teachers asked me to cover for her today.

Teaching the adults is always a bit daunting. There are a lot of people in our congregation who are far smarter and religiously wiser than me. Whenever I teach that group or even worse when I get the chance to teach the kids, I'm always fearful concerned that someone is going to pull out some obscure Scriptural reference or question for which I will have a whole lot of nothin'. Fortunately, that bullet has been dodged, for now. And then there's the fact that when I teach, you get me. I don't tune up the personality and turn into a model teacher. You get me. Whether you like it or not.

I thought it went well today. I judge that by the fact that no one walked out nor was anything thrown (e.g. books, punches) at me. These opportunities are good for me. I have to prepare and I like that preparation time. I like the interaction with those in the class. I like the insight of others. For me, the reward of teaching is that I am usually the one who learns more.  I'm grateful for that because I could use all the learning I can get.

Teaching made for a good day today. I like days like that.

No comments: