18 July 2014

Taking a bigger bite out of the Big Apple

So for as long as I can remember, I've had a fascination with New York City. In the back of my head, I always thought I'd "be a part of it." From my first visit to the city in 1982 or '83, I was hooked. I came back from that first trip and threw an "I LOVE NEW YORK" bumper sticker on the bumper of my what I thought (in my own deluded sense) was cool Honda Civic. It was quickly defaced by one of the tools at my waste of time high school. But my affinity for the city would not be quenched.

The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML and I made several trips to the city throughout the years. We were in New York a week before the horror of 9/11. It was one of our best trips ever to the city. Little did we know what would happen just six days later.

From the trainwreck that the city was in the early '80's to the horror of 9/11 to weekend runs down to the city now that we live fairly close in Connecticutistan, I've felt like I've been a content outsider looking in. With my recent career move, I'm taking a bigger bite out of the Big Apple now. I like it.

A couple of observations:

  • If you are worried that there is some kind of recession on, come to the city. It is vomiting tourists from the world over and they are spending filthy amounts of money here. Filthy.
  • The 'unique' smell of the city is exacerbated on hot days. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, good about that.
  • If you are questioning some of your choices and whether they will land you in Hell and you want to know what that firey environment will be like, I invite you to the 42nd Street/Times Square subway station at around 530PM on a hot summer afternoon. You will then know what Hell will feel like. You will choose differently immediately.
  • Some of the homeless are getting a lot more creative in their cash seeking. On the corner of 38th and 7th, a homeless man was demanding cash from any and all who passed his way so he could, wait for it, and I'm quoting here, 'buy a couple of lesbians.' I am not making this up. From the looks of his empty coin cup, he probably needs to change his pitch.
I'll say this about New York City. It's not a place for everyone but what I'm getting of it, I like. I mean where else can you line up for a cumin lamb burger and cold noodles at a Chinese joint and then run across the street to grab some Cuban croquettes and cap the night off with Belgian waffle deliciousness? Indeed, that's the Big Apple for you. I'll take a bite out of that.

No comments: