18 December 2007

Dante's Inferno = Suburban Chicago Mall

When Dante wrote "The Inferno," he articulated a wretched vision of the afterlife for those destined for rougher climes. I honestly think he saw the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg at Christmas. It's the Seventh Ring of Hell - I'm sure of it. I was forced back there tonight in my quest for one of Shari's Christmas gifts. Oh..it was ugly. The perimeter of the Mall is manned by rent-a-cops with lighted batons acting as parking marshals and it goes from there. Congratulations to the SUV drivers who feel compelled to take two parking spots in order to protect their Land Yachts from the dings of us lesser types. And that takes a good 30 minutes to find a parking spot. And then you plunge into the scrum - into the Mall. Woodfield is an homage to late 60's/early 70's concrete and the use of levels. Someone thought it would be fun throw like half floors in this Mall. I suspect Mike Brady may have had a role in this design. After all, he designed a house for eight, plus Alice, with no visible toilets.




Thanks, Mike!




And after plowing through the Mall and its denizens, I still walked away without the gift I'm really wanting to get Shari. Even Nordstrom, that bastion of service, was a let-down.

So I was just glad to get home tonight and I'll finish shopping online. The online retailers are a lot more excited about taking my money than the brick-and-mortars!

No comments: