11 February 2008

Curse you, La Nina!

It's been said by the weather talking heads here in Chicagoland that we are in one of the worst winters in the past twenty years, if not the worst. And now they have taken to blaming the weather phenomenon known as "La Nina" for all the snow and stupid cold coming our way. Well, little girl, as 'la nina' is translated, I am DONE with you. You need to go away. Parker and I have shoveled more snow than any human should this winter. Go away, seriously.

It was my first Monday back in the office in a week, so it was a long day. This was exacerbated by the fact that the snow began coming down in earnest during my commute home. I then missed my exit because of the lack of visibility and that delayed me even further. By the time I got home tonight, I was done, having cursed "La Nina" ten ways 'til Tuesday during the long ride home.

Shari and I then tried calendaring several family breaks and it's an ugly year. My calendar for work and NBTA is really nuts this year and I have got to find a way to balance this all out. We did get several days slotted and are now working on a couple of vacation ideas.

All I know, as this night slowly and agonizingly draws to a close, that I am finding solace in thinking of the absolutlely stunning pumpkin ravioli that I had last Thursday in Milan. Could it be that I have some kind of illness, knowing that images of food alone can bring such comfort?


But look at that! This is not from the place I ate in Milan (I have not descended into that level of madness quite yet - taking pictures of my meals) but this is good enough! Really, it was fantastic. How can you say no to something that good?


Oh yeah, and one other recommendation from last week's trip...this is from off the plane. I flew British Airways to/from London and in Club World, they offer snacks in between meals. One of those were these AWESOME things called "Honey Flapjacks." They are these dense, sweet oat bars. I loved them. A company in Sussex called Kate's Cakes make them. Little slices of heaven. Take a look:


Really good stuff! Just thinking of them and the pumpkin ravioli has me almost out of the funk of the never-ending winter!



2 comments:

kEllY said...

Let me know when you need a little pick-me-up. I have a file full of "photoshopped" items you might enjoy! Do you want me to post them on my blog or email them directly to you? Oh,and they can just be added to your law suit against me. I don't mind.

I am looking forward to solitary confinement! REALLY!

Michael said...

Make with the file o'fun, breeder lady. You can post to your blog or email them to me. It'll be awesome. I think I am going to try and have the case tried in front of "Judge Judy." Tell me that you are in!