02 February 2008

A Fitting Tribute

The funeral for Gordon B. Hinckley was held today and it was a fitting, touching farewell to an inspiring, humble man who exuded living a Christ-like life. There were so many wonderful touching moments during the service. I was caught off guard by a flood of emotion as the camera panned the podium and there was President Hinckley's empty chair. I was so impressed by his daughter's eulogy. She honored her father in a beautiful way. As Shari and I talked during the service, we noted that our sense of sadness is almost selfish. We know that now that he has passed to other side of the veil, there is much to be happy about. But now, we are without him, his leadership, and his spirit. So I guess it is a bit selfish.

The documentary of his life that was presented after the funeral service as the cortege moved to the Salt Lake City Cemetery was one of the most moving, touching and emotional things I've ever seen. It was amazing. It was impossible to stop the tears. I once again felt compelled to count my blessings as I watched it. What a blessing to have had him in our lives for so many years. And what a greater blessing to know that God's plan will continue to roll forth. There will be no leadership vacuum nor will be there be a battle royale. As was said so many times today in quoting President Hinckley, "It will all work out."

(I am going to squelch my overwhelming desire to rage on about the presence of the Pandering Presidential Politico, Mitt Romney, at the funeral. This much - kudos to the Church for not even acknowledging him, or the US Senators that were there for that matter. Anyway, I'll save that ire for another time...except this...Mitt, take a lesson from President Hinckley on how to handle yourself while on "60 Minutes." I don't recall President Hinckley expressing his disgust at anything about the Church's past as he was interviewed by Mike Wallace. FYI - you, Mitt, can't say that you did the same. OK, now I'm done.)


1 comment:

Naomi said...

I loved hearing from his daughter about how at the church dedication last week, for the first time, he prayed for his own strenght and blessing from God. And, although I already really miss him (I'm sure we will REALLY feel it come April) I love that Heavenly Father took him home while he "still had his boots on." It shouldn't have been any other way. . .

Thanks for your thoughts!