25 February 2008

Shrillary, Cuba, and the Old Man on Campus

Ever since the Pandering Presidential Politico, the Mittster, got out of the race, I've not had much to say about the presidential campaign. Until now...we are, I believe, watching one of the greatest political meltdowns in history. And that belongs to you, She Who Must Not Be Named, oh Bride of Satan.

Oh Shrillary, was it not just last Thursday that you reached out to Obama as he sat next to you at the debate, declaring how proud you were to be sitting next to him. So Shrillary, who was that SheBeast that was shrieking into the camera two days later about Obama, essentially challenging him to a brawl on the streets. And Shrillary, who was it on Sunday that was on a campaign stage, openly mocking Obama's speaking style and campaign rhetoric?

It was you, Shrillary. Three classic signs of a campaign that's imploding: Act One - excessive pandering to your opponent; Act Two - outrage toward your opponent; Act Three - tossing any last shred of dignity you had and mocking your opponent's strengths. You reap what you sow - and Shrillary, you're getting yours.

As our administration is changing, we see changes just 90 miles to south of the southernmost tip of Florida - Fidel Castro has retired as comadante of Cuba. Who'd a thunk?! I figured it was going to take death to get him out. Having served my mission amongst the Cubans in Florida, I certainly was exposed to more than my share of anti-Castro rhetoric. And I certainly worked with enough people who suffered under his regime. Sadly, our policies toward Cuba have not done anything to reverse his impact. I only wish that we had lifted the embargo enough to see the free flow of U.S. dollars into the country. That would have changed it for Cuba. Fidel would have been gone a long, long time ago had we loosened the economic sanctions and allowed the average Cuban citizen to get a taste of economic freedom. The Cubans are an amazing, resourceful people and I'm certain we will still see change on that island.

Finally, it's Day Two of my executive education program at Wharton. I am staying at a hotel right in the middle of campus and have been walking back and forth across campus. This much I know - I'm an old man. Or college kids all look like they are about twelve years old. It's a very different scene than when I started college twenty four years ago. Although, check out the place on campus, right next to my hotel - a cereal bar called Cereality. It's a kick! Of course, I'm not getting the Froot Loops or anything like that - I need the old man oatmeal.

Anyway, I miss my family. This has been a long trip. I'll be glad to go home this Friday. And of course, Chicago is supposed to get pounded with snow tonight. Thanks for serving me yet another large helping of guilt, Senor Weatherman. Gracias.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

I'm cracking up at the "Shrillary" commentary. It has actually been quite amusing to witness the meltdown!

Don't feel too guilty. . . just think of how Mother Nature is helping to make a man out of Parker. :)

Hope you guys are getting desperate enough for some sunshine to come and get some!

kEllY said...

It's a beautiful morning. Sun shining. Shorts weather, I believe. I told Shari you can stay with us for spring break. We are very entertaining. In a scary sort of way.