04 May 2008

Another calling

So as Sacrament Meeting wrapped up today, Shari and I got the tap (c'mon people, you know the tap I'm talking about) on the collective shoulder from the 1st Counselor in the Bishopbric, followed by the "Hey, can I see you two during Sunday School?" question. Yep, it could only mean a calling to serve. Since both of us are already in different callings, we figured one of us was getting released - but it was not to be. (NOTE - for those non-Mormon readers of the "den," our ministry is a lay ministry and so it's the members that fill the roles in the Church.)

Instead, we both have an additional calling, or assignment because it was explained that this one was not a calling (tomato/tomahtow), now. Our ward is going to be putting the entire adult population of the ward through the Marriage and Family Relations class and they've asked Shari and I to be one of the team teachers. I burst out laughing. What else could I do? Shari and I have a really good marriage and a great friendship, but anyone who knows us knows that Shari deserves all manner of accolades for putting up with me. Our one good friend Linda (and Linda, if you are reading this - when is the book coming out? Deseret Book needs another timely best-seller from a SIG-sister in the gospel-) routinely describes Shari as the most charitable woman on the earth - based solely on the fact that she married me. So as I see it this is going to be one of those times when I just sit back, keep my mouth shut and let Shari teach. The ward will be better off that way. Somehow I don't think that they are quite ready for my opinions on what makes a good family. I mean I'll still try and convince anyone that the Simpsons are one righteous family:

Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo and we are having friends over for said celebration. Looking forward to that - we are going to cook it all up ourselves. I mean it's not like I can just run down to the Taco Shop on 79 South to load up. Man, we miss the Taco Shop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We celebrated Cinco de Mayo at In N Out tonight. We were wondering why no one was there, I guess they were all at El Ranchito. John and I have to suffer through the parenting class on Sunday nights. John's word of advice to you is to avoid the "roll play".

Lisa

Julia said...

I think you and Shari are an excellent team. A wonderful example of good parenting. We took the parenting class already. If a miracle happens and I have more children, I am sure we will be perfect parents this time.

We forgot it was Cinco de Mayo but, the missionaries didn't and ate chips, salsa and guac. right in front of me. Being on a diet doesn't lend itself to Mexican food.
I guess we will have to wait until we get to your house for a decent meal.

Julia said...

sorry I am just getting the hang of this comment thing. If I sent the comment twice. Oh well!o