22 May 2008

NNHS Senior '08

Who knew that Graduation Week could be so CHAOTIC? Clearly, I did not. It's been a lot of years since I graduated high school but I just don't recall all the build up, the activity, the chaos (perhaps that's because I thought high school was a complete waste of time). Ferris Bueller, in the greatest movie ever, captured my feelings about high school best with this quote, "It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school."

Sarah appears to have had a better go of it than me. Her graduation last night from Naperville North High School went off without a hitch. Even the weather cooperated - it's hardly been out of the mid-60s during the day and it's chilly at night with the wind (yes, I know, it's May...I get it...it's cold here) and yet last night, no wind and completely pleasant. That still didn't stop my dad from sitting front and center with my CNN Afghanistan bureau cap on his head to stave off the cold - that was a funny sight. That didn't make me shed a tear, although watching my oldest daughter in the procession, wearing her graduation "gown" with her ropes for service and activity and to see her honored as a cumme laude graduate, did make me drop a tear or two.

Anyway, Sarah was excited and just seemed elated. It confirmed to me that she's so ready for this next stage of her life. I have to give the school props though - they know how to motor through 772 graduates. They run a tight ship at NNHS and it was clear shenanigans would not be permitted so that made for a good ceremony.

After it was over, we found Sarah on the field, surrounded by friends. She was out of her mind with excitement. It was really fun to see. We took a lot of pictures and I'll post a few later. I'm really glad that both sets of grandparents got to be here to share this with our family. We didn't see her much after that - matter of fact, she didn't come home until after 5AM this morning. She and her friends made the midnight opening of "Indiana Jones" and then BBQ-d in the middle of the night and went swimming.

Ah to be young again! I am so, so proud of my daughter. I am honored to have shared this much of her life. She's been blessed to have an amazing mom who has helped her to become the young woman that she is today. I am excited to be sending her off to BYU now. She's the best and I hope they are ready for her and ready to treat her well. I'm going to miss her terribly.

No comments: