18 May 2008

Sounds of Sunday

I'm certain that I've totally dated myself with the title of today's post and I have no idea why I got all nostalgic for it today...but any of you of a certain age who did time at BYU Provo know EXACTLY what I am talking about! I'm sure more than one of us used the "Sounds of Sunday" as our Church service, especially freshman year, when Saturday night had gone a little later than expected (guilty as charged!).

On Sundays, the "Sounds of Sunday" would fill the halls of many a dorm room in Deseret Towers (the 1984 brochure described it as 'apartment-like living').

It was a radio program (which is now called 'Soft Sunday Sounds' - nice fiesta of alliteration) that played Church music, not a whole lot o' Mo'Tab per se, but more modern, for the time, Sunday music. It, as I referenced above, sometimes became Church. You would oversleep, miss your Sacrament meeting start time, and figure.."OK if I throw on the 'Sounds of Sunday,' that'll help me keep me in the Spirit." Um...OK. Now, we didn't have all the musical options that are out there today - there wasn't much of an LDS pop music scene. But what was out there got played ad nauseum during this program. So it was a lot of Michael McLean and Afterglow. I mean seriously, did these two geniuses who constituted said musical group know what they were setting themselves up for naming themselves 'Afterglow'? (a word to the wise - DO NOT do a Google image search for Afterglow...I'm just saying). Also we didn't have all the music that's done for EFY and Seminary now.

Speaking of Seminary, it's Seminary Graduation tonight and we'll be there for Sarah. For the non-Mormon readers o'the Den, a quick primer - our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has a well-established religious education program for high school students. It's a four year program and in most places outside of the Motherland (Utah) and other hives of Mormon activity where it's held during school hours, Seminary is held before school starts each morning and they study all the books of Scripture. Sarah has completed it and tonight she and the other graduates are honored. She has never once complained about getting up early and going to Seminary and I applaud her for that. I cannot say the same. I complained mightily and loudly. I owe my Seminary teacher, Paul Barker, an apology. He was a good guy. Boy, he put up with a lot of garbage!

Anyway, I think I'm nostalgic as Sarah's graduation from high school looms around the corner and as talk of going to BYU gets louder. It's a changed place from when Shari and I were there. Take a look at what they've done to my beloved Deseret Towers:

Ah well, it's a changed campus and now my eldest is joining the ranks of BYU students. No wonder I've got a head full of gray hair now...

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Ahhhh, Afterglow (or as my sister snidely called them, "Afterecho")--the Simon and Garfunkle of Mormon Pop. They really did bug, didn't they?

What about "Not of this World" from the old seminary stuff, and who can forget, "I'll build you a Rainbow?" Or was I the only dork who actually had those tapes in my collection.

On my mission, Michael McLean was the closest we could get to "worldly music" and still be within mission rules. I loved that stuff. . .

I hardly recognize campus anymore!