21 September 2008

A most excellent birthday present

I got a most excellent birthday present yesterday. I was all kinds of excited when I opened my new steamer basket. Steamed buns and dim sum here we come!
After my meetings ended today, it was time to bust out the wok and get the steam rising, so we could use the steamer basket. I also got a Chinese cookbook yesterday and I used a recipe out of it for steamed pork buns. It was a lot of fun to make the buns, stuff them, and get them in the steamer. Courtney got in on the action early as I got the filling going in the wok. All was good for her until I threw in the oyster sauce. She once again made it ABUNDANTLY clear that she is not a fan of anything seafood-related, anything. But, to her credit, she managed to contain her gag reflex while I prepped the rest of the buns. Gold star for her. Anyway, it really could not have been easier to make these things. And the finished product - excellent, I must say. I mean, the local dim sum joints don't have to worry about competition, but it's going to be a lot of fun trying to beat them in my own kitchen!

It's been another good day of getting religion. Long day and it's not over - a youth fireside still to go - but a good day. Courtney spoke in our Sacrament Meeting today and she did really well. She spoke confidently and bore a solid testimony. Shari was called to serve as president of the Young Women in our Chicagoland ward today. She, as always, will be awesome. She'll be great. And giving me the steamer basket so I can continue to fuel the Asian food obsession is another example of her awesomeness. She's no fan o'the Asian food obsession but she sure is great to enable it for me!

Speaking of Asian food obsession, I leave for Bangkok week after next for a week of meetings. I'm taking one day as vacation time while I'm there and I am spending part of it in a Thai cooking class. It's at a place called Baipai and I am all kinds of excited. It would have been even more exciting if the state of emergency was still in effect in Bangkok but that's over and done. This class looks to be a lot of fun. I am really looking forward to it.

No comments: