14 September 2008

The sump is no chump...so far!

I am delighted and relieved to report that the sump pump has held its own during the downpour that we've been enduring here in Chicagoland. No agua in the basement...so far. And it appears that this afternoon we've hit a bit of a respite from the rain. Yesterday, according to the record books and weather geeks, was the rainiest day in Chicago. Ever. And I believe them. Scenes like this, as published in our local paper today, are common around town:

It looks like we've got one more night of this before we'll catch a break. Whew! And then it'll start snowing, or some such bizarre event to turn the tables on the global warming argument.

It's been a good Sunday, at least based on how I measured it today. And that would be the fact that no one walked out as I conducted Sacrament Meeting for the first time. Color me happy. For those readers who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Sacrament Meeting is our main meeting on Sunday, where members are instructed together and, most importantly, partake of the sacrament. We also conduct local church business in that meeting and I was conducting today. You know I can get up in front of 3,000 people at a time and talk like there's no tomorrow. But to stand before a group of my church brothers and sisters, well, it was just a little intimidating. But like I said, no one left and no one threw anything at me.

Tonight our church youth kick off "Standards Week" with a fireside with their parents. Throughout the week, they'll have the opportunity to hear from their leaders about the importance of living the standards that the Lord has outlined. They'll be given to share those standards with friends. They'll be reminded that it is possible to live up to what the Lord expects of them. Not just of them, but of each of us. It's all here for them:

I really appreciate their leaders for putting this together. It impacts my two children that are in the youth program and I know it makes a difference for them. It blesses them. I had great church youth leaders growing up, but I am so impressed by the tools that the Church has provided today. It's incredible but it is so needed to help save our children from a really, really tough world.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

That's a serious downpour. I can remember those from my mission days in the Midwest. I haven't seen anything else even close to it in any of the other areas I've lived. . .

Glad the ol' faithful sump is keeping you dry!