31 January 2010

Abu Dhabi Recap


So last Tuesday I posted about the stunningly patient SML and her ability to put up with me. It was timely since I was posting from another First Class lounge at O'Hare as I was about to board a flight to Abu Dhabi, UAE. I was off to the UAE for a little holiday. By myself. Not having much of a plan (read "no plan").

So I boarded the Etihad Airways flight, settled into my lie-flat bed/seat and enjoyed the service for the next 12 and 1/2 hours. Actually slept for nearly seven hours. Color me happy. Landed in Abu Dhabi the following night, thanks to the 10 hour time change. Shuffled off to my hotel and slept.

I hired a guide for a half-day tour of Abu Dhabi on Thursday. Abu Dhabi is a pretty amazing place. It's a series of islands, covered in sand, with amazing wealth sprouting from it. The tour started at the Fruit and Vegetable Markets. Essentially everything is imported - mostly from Iraq and Iran.
Saudi Dates
Then it was off to the Fish Market:
Metal Fishing Nets...who knew!?
Pristine Fish Market
Fish on sale - this DID NOT make me sick

Then we headed to the incredible Sheik Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Mosque. It is stunningly beautiful. And certainly worthy of reverence, regardless of whether you are a follower of Islam or not. It was amazing to be able to see it and go inside.

Outside the Mosque
Inside the Mosque - carpet handmade in Iran

It really was spectacular. I only made one cultural faux pas while in the Mosque and that was to open one of the copies of the Qu'ran that were all over the place. The security guard could not have been nicer about it - allaying any fears I had that I was going to lose a hand. I should have known better...I felt really bad about it.

So the city tour wrapped up seeing several palaces and the downtown and after that I headed out for a late lunch. Abu Dhabi is quite cosmopolitan with cuisine from all over the world. I thought I'd go Indian and this would prove to be a heinous mistake. I have no more pictures and not much else to say because not long after my heaping plate of chicken tikka biryani, I was assaulted by one angry...oh I don't know, but suffice to say, by early Friday morning, I knew my plan to go to Dubai was not going to happen. I couldn't get more than three feet from my hotel room toilet without having to immediately return. I spent the whole of Friday either on the toilet or in my bed. I did take a break to count up some cash to leave a tip for the maid - it was going to be, unfortunately, well-deserved.

I was flying back Saturday morning so it meant an early check-out and after a pretty unpleasant night, I was feeling OK as I showered and packed. I really thought the worst was over. I was wrong. More on that in the next post.

No comments: