09 January 2010

Hej da, Swedemobile

Unless you've had your head buried in the sand the last couple of years, you're aware that General Motors, or GM, has had some, well, problems. That's like saying the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" have a little diet problem. GM's challenges are enormous and they aren't out of the woods, in spite of their quickie tour through BankruptcyLand. One of their challenges has been too many brands and not enough coin to help those brands develop. One of those brands was the quirky Saab.

Quirky. It has both bad and good connotations. As a Saab owner, I, at first, got a kick out of the good connotations. Then the bloom came off the rose and the bad took over. Saab took on a new meaning - Something's Almost Always Broken. And repairing those quirks didn't come cheap. It was too much. So today I became a former Saab owner. I bid farewell to my 9.3 and went back to the lands and makers I know so well. I crossed the Pacific, as it were, and was accepted back into the embrace of Toyota.

So, hej da, Swedemobile. You cost me a lot of money. So as a final farewell, I give you the efforts of a far-more successful but equally quirky, and dare I say disturbing, Swedish import, Abba, singing about money, money, money:

No comments: