13 January 2010

Ice Melting Shrubbery

Last week was chock full o'snow, ice, and cold. This week has turned out a little, umm, a lot better. Highs in the low- to mid-30's all week. And better yet, the sun is out. Meaning my ice-encrusted shrubbery in the front of the house will finally start to melt:

I am amazed at how robust plants, this shrub in particular, are. They put up with a lot here in the Midwest and they, like Timex, take a licking and keep on ticking.

I was thrilled to be able to run at lunch today - a welcome relief from the tumor-inducing conference calls that had been my morning. It was about 26 degrees when I went out but the sun was positively radiant and dare I say that it was almost warm. I was sweaty enough when I got home to say that it was warm. Good, quick couple of miles, but enjoyable. Really enjoyable.

It would be nice to have a milder winter. We've been promised a milder winter since we got here nearly four years ago and each one, as I have pointed out before, has been progressively more heinous. So it's time. Give the shrubbery a chance to live and let me get some decent half-marathon training in!

In honor of the ice-encrusted shrubbery, I give you an homage to the shrubbery from the Knights who say Ni!
Classic!

No comments: