03 January 2010

More proof that there is no end to bacon's goodness

Bacon, bacon you say? The mere mention of the word sends most of us dedicated carnivores into a spasm of joy. It may be close to the perfect meat. And today, thanks to a shift in my Sunday schedule, bacon got a good work out. Let me explain.

For those of you not familiar with how things roll on Sundays in terms of schedule in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or Mormons, let me enlighten you. Typically, you have two to three "wards" or local congregations that meet in an LDS church building for Sunday services. The meeting times are staggered and the building gets a work out. In our building, the services start at 9AM, 11AM, and 1PM respectively. For the last year, we've been meeting on the third shift, or outer darkness. I do not like the 1PM start, never have, never will. I like the earlier meeting time and with the first Sunday in January came our shift in meeting times and we rolled to the 9AM start. Can I get an AMEN!?

OK, let me get back to the bacon. With this shift in schedule, I am now home a lot earlier on Sundays. Like by 1PM. So I decided to make dinner today. I thought this would be nice for the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML, who is on vacation this week. Her office is closed, so good for her. CAL requested waffles. Umm...OK. Waffles need protein. Waffles and bacon. Outstanding. And then I remembered a recipe I stumbled upon on either SeriousEats, or from a link on EatMeDaily, I can't remember now as I follow something like 20 + food blogs. Anyway, recipe is too strong a word - it was a photographic essay/homage to the bacon cinnamon roll. And I determined to make it tonight.

It's a no-brainer. Buy a thing of those refrigerated cinnamon rolls - the ones from the puffy little fat guy do the trick. Bust them open and unroll the rolls. Fry up some bacon, but don't make it crispy. It needs to be flimsy so you can roll it up. Roll it up and then bake them. When there done, pull them out, let them cool and then ice them and enjoy. They are obscenely delicious. Seriously.

Here's my own proof that there is no end to bacon's goodness:
The start
The rolls unrolled
Frying the goodness
Rolling up the goodness - depending on the "shrink" factor, you may want to roll in a couple of pieces of bacon instead of just one
Into the oven with the things
The finished product - behold, the bacon cinnamon roll.

The Boy's expression when he bit into this was, thank you, MasterCard, priceless. They are really, really good. It confirmed that there is no end to bacon's goodness. I'm certain they are a caloric WMD, too. So I suppose it's a good thing that my pre-half marathon training starts this week. No, it is a good thing.

No comments: