06 July 2010

A Bike Ride

So in honor of our nation's birthday, my company, like so many others, was closed on Monday, 5 July. Woo and hoo! So what to do? It's just the three of us - me, the mighty fine SML and CAL. What to do?

I got up early, with all intentions of another five-mile run. That went horribly wrong. Right about mile one, the unmistakable rumbling in my stomach started and it was on - the gastrointestinal battle that I was destined to lose. At the end of mile two, it was clear that the pounding sensation from the running was wreaking havoc on me and that a porta-potty was priority numero uno if the run was to continue. I turned tail and walked home, yes, walked (running was a death sentence at this point) fast home.

Once home, battle over, we decided to drive into the city to rent bikes and ride along the Lakeshore Trail. This awesome trail runs all along Chicago's Lake Shore Drive. It's incredible. Simply incredible. We rented our bikes through the very cool people at BikeChicago at Millenium Park and before you knew it, we were off.
CAL and the mighty fine SML ready to go

It was a gorgeous morning (the heatwave we are experiencing now hadn't hit yet) and the trail was full of bikers and runners. I was so, so envious of the runners. I decided then and there that one day we are moving downtown, simply to run and ride on the trail. Dare to dream!

We had such a good time riding. I took a couple of pictures from my iPhone as we rode:


We round up riding for just under eleven miles. It was awesome. We probably looked like tourists - OK, no denying it, we totally did, but it was great. The helmet proves once again that my head is unnaturally large. I look like a complete spaz. Still, a great time...

We're looking forward to doing this again, sooner rather than later. This is such a great city. So much to do, so much to enjoy. I'm pretty fortunate.

No comments: