11 July 2010

Swampy Saturday - brief recap

So yesterday was swampy. Yes, swampy. I can think of no better way to describe yesterday. It was hot and humid...just plain swampy. So what does one do in swampy weather? Here's what went down:

- Ten mile run with my group. It was pretty hideous-felt like the walking wounded once it was over. And I could not believe how many groups were on the Prairie Path yesterday morning. Our group (CARA), the Wheaton running club (thanks guys for letting us borrow some of your ice cold water at mile seven - it was a godsend!); the Team in Training guys, plus a lot of lone runners, and the usual slew of bikers, both courteous and rude.
- Shopping for the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML's birthday present. Mission accomplished. Still trying to put it together. I suspect this will NOT end well. Why? For a host of reasons, not the least of which is that I was born missing the handyman gene. Secondly, she is way better at putting stuff together than me. I have no trouble admitting that and don't feel like I have to turn in my man card as a result. I don't think the DIY Network covers what I need to assemble. So as I said earlier, this is not going to end well.
- Watching a little bit of the World Cup. Kudos to the Germans for taking third place.
- Swimming and a BBQ with good friends that was interrupted by a bizarre downpour while the sun shone brightly. I also played my first game of water basketball in forever. I was reminded why basketball was not one of my sports. Apologies for the loss, well both losses, to my team...

And now it's Sunday. Spain just beat the Netherlands for their first World Cup title. Felicidades a Espana. Although my Northern European heritage cried for a win by the Netherlands. It's also National Blueberry Muffin Day. I hope you have celebrated appropriately. If you haven't, there's still time to do something about it. Please do so now. Thank you.

No comments: