04 July 2010

A Fine 4th - Happy 234th, USA!

It's the 4th of July and best wishes to the USA on her 234th birthday, better known as Independence Day. In terms of nations, the US is actually pretty young. It is a nation that has done much in her brief history. I'm grateful to be a son of the USA. Being born here has afforded me many things - the freedom to speak as I wish (this blog is proof of that), the freedom to participate in the electoral process (hello, Barack and good-bye, Blago), and the freedom to travel around the world. I cherish these freedoms but I count the ability to travel as I wish as one of the choicest. I've been very fortunate to travel all over the world, using one of these:

It's allowed me to see how other people live. I've literally tasted the world while I was at it. It's allowed me to appreciate the wonder that is living in the US. As I reflected on this holiday last year, I recognized that in many ways, the US is one big train wreck. It still is, but that's the beauty of this country. It manages to hang together in spite of itself. The economy is still teetering. We've got a state that is moving rapidly towards fascism (um, that would be you, Arizona); we can't quite figure out how to get socialized medicine right; and we're stuck in an endless war. That being said, this is still an amazing country. I'm glad to be one of her citizens.

It's also an auspicious day. It's my mother-in-law's birthday today! Happy birthday to Julie, who let me assure you, is nowhere near 234 years old. She's pretty awesome. She's hanging with the Boy today and I hope she's having fun with him.

Hope your 4th is a good one. Celebrate and enjoy.

No comments: