16 February 2011

21 - Lucky 21!

I've made it a habit now here in the Den of noting significant occasions with their corresponding number and today is no different.

Today, Our Lady of BYU, our firstborn child, celebrates her 21st birthday.  This is a momentous day, to be sure.  Now, in Mormon culture, turning 21 doesn't have the same "Go drink legally!" implications as it does in our "Snooki/drunken whore" pop culture world, and for that, I'm grateful.

Unlike the parents of most reality TV show contestants, such as the aforementioned Snooki train wreck, I am so proud of my daughter.  She's pretty awesome.  She's doing a really good job of figuring out who she is and who she wants to become.  She surprises me with the depth of her devotion to the BYU Cougars.  She's a fierce, fierce fan!  She's got a sense of humor.  She makes us, her parents, very happy and like I said, we're really proud of her.

So, here's to you, on your 21st birthday, my daughter!  You're still my little girl.  Happy birthday.

No comments: