19 February 2011

"With malice toward none, with charity for all..."

If I was clever or resourceful enough, I'd turn the title of this post into a contest - some kind of clever around who can tell me who said it and a bonus for when it was said.  Alas, I am not, so I'll just tell you.

"With malice toward none, with charity for all..." was part of Abraham Lincoln's second inaugural address.  He spoke these words Saturday, March 4, 1865, about six weeks before his assassination.

It is safe to say that I am currently captivated by Lincoln.  It's bordering on the obsessive.  I've read three incredible books about him and I am amazed by this humble, simple, and brilliant man.

I am in awe of his astute ability to assess the character of those around him and his nearly boundless ability to forgive and see through the bluster in which we often cloak ourselves.  It was that insight that allowed him to essentially save our nation.  This was dramatically illustrated in the book I just finished reading about the Lincoln presidency.  Team of Rivals by historian Doris Kearns Goodwin is an absolutely brilliant read.  It's not light reading.  It is engrossing and thought-provoking and worth every moment invested in it.  READ THIS BOOK!

I'm so obsessed with Lincoln and his life that I've decided we are going to take part of our Spring Break in Springfield, exploring the Lincoln Museum and the Library.  I am all kinds of excited. 

2 comments:

heidi said...

Your Spring Break Trip sounds fun, this kind of stuff intrigues me as well. I LOVE reading about great men and women from our past, I don't know if I can do heavy reading right now but I'm going to look into some lighter reading on this great man!

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

You almost persuaded me to put down "Breaking Dawn" and pick up "Team of Rivals". Almost.