12 January 2008

Be Quiet - I'm Begging You

It's been one of those Saturdays - no real plan, no real need to get anything done. My main objective was a haircut. I got that done but not without some pain. One of the drags of moving to Chicagoland was giving up my barber in Temecula. It was an old-school barber, with old guys who learned their trade as a part of the GI Bill and for a couple of them, the war (which one? - well, it really didn't matter) never ended. They knew how to cut hair. No such barbers to be found here, at least not in our 'burb. And I'm not going to get on the train and haul it into the city every couple of weeks for a haircut, where I KNOW I could find an old-school barber. Anyway, so I'm forced to go to one the many storefront haircut franchises here, not that there's anything wrong with that. Wait...yes, there is. The woman who cuts my hair is good and she does not yammer on incessantly while cutting my hair. Sadly, I can't say that about the rest of the stylists/hair technicians/whatever you want to call them. That yammering is what makes it rough. It only takes about 10 minutes to cut my hair and all I want to do after about two minutes, is scream, "Be quiet, by all that's holy, be quiet! I'm begging you!" Seriously, I can count on no hands the number of people that want to hear all the drivel that gets spouted. I mean a couple of questions about how you want your hair cut and your day is fine, after that it's enough already. But oh no, the stuff you hear just drives me nuts. Just be quiet - it's a lock for a bigger tip, I'm telling you.

We did get to our ward's Young Men's basketball game today. It was a hysterical game to watch. It's obvious why Church Ball is more commonly known as the Brawl That Begins With Prayer. Our ward team is "highly focused" and they play to win. Our opponent today was the rival ward (is that really Christian to be rivals with another ward?) and I have to say that our boys schooled them. The win was decisive.

After the game, Shari shocked me by saying she wanted me to take her to the local Super H Mart. The Super H is this great Korean grocery store that is just chock full of the foods and smells of Korea and Asia. They have wicked good produce and Shari needed some stuff. Courtney shot the idea down like there was no tomorrow. She would have none of it, so I guess we'll do that another day. Nothing like a little kimchee sample on a cool afternoon to warm you up!

So it's shaping up now to be a quiet Saturday night. Parker and Courtney are heading to a friends' house to watch a movie and Sarah's got homework. Bummer for her!

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Hey! So fun to get a comment from you. How is it that your ward doesn't know about your mad skills in the "quirky" ward activities department?? Just tonight we were with the Platts, talking about the airplane hijacking to Mexico, the cruise, and need I mention the Prom? You guys are holding out . . .

We really miss you guys as well. Parker spent the morning at baseball tryouts, and we always feel a little homesick for you guys around this season. It's fun to stay in touch a little bit through the world of blogging. If you don't mind, I'm officially adding you as a link. I love reading your stuff because you write exactly how you talk, and I feel like I can hear your voice as I read it. And I always get a good laugh.

kEllY said...

Mike, what is wrong with the yammering in the salon. That's what we 'white trash breeders' do best. Well, second best! BTW - I love your blog.