19 January 2008

Stupid Cold

Far be it from me to turn this blog into a lamentation about the cold, but brothers and sisters, it is just stupid cold in Chicagoland tonight. I mean stupid cold. Right now it is -2 degrees, with a wind chill of -20 degrees. I'm not kidding. Go check it out on weather.com

And it does feel like -20. I wish that I could properly describe what that feels like but I can't. You know it's cold when you inhale and your nostrils seal shut. Oh, and that -2 is actually an improvement from earlier today. I had to go into the office to take care of a few things before I jet to Mexico City on Monday and as I drove in at 800AM, it was -5. Can you stand that?!

I do have to give a shout out to the Swedes here though. While they did harm us as a nation irrevocably with the double nightmares of IKEA and ABBA, they also gave us the Saab (what is it about their affinity for four letter nouns?). The colder it gets, the better my Saab behaves. And the winter transmission switch makes driving in the snow fairly effortless. I like that...a lot.

No comments: