16 January 2008

"Delusional" Idol

What is it with our nation's undying bloodlust for watching others make complete idiots of themselves? Why do we feast on watching others come apart at the seams, especially when those seams are held together by the weakest of string and the biggest of delusions? Our family is guilty as charged, as watching America's favorite pastime is truly a family affair.

Of course, I reference the parade of America's most delusional that is "American Idol." It's back. Like a bad rash, it's back. You know that you are as guilty as I am watching the first installments. Watching thousands of people pile into stadiums (stadiums, people, stadiums!) to sing, knowing that 99.9% of them won't even get near a microphone is awesome. And you know you're watching to see the train wrecks. Based on the last two nights, it looks the folks manning the switchhouses on the railroad have gone to sleep, because it's been one cataclysmic train wreck after another. How is it that these people sincerely believe they are talented? That they even have a shot?! Props out to those who come just trying to get on TV - I suspect "Princess Leia" dude from last night made some serious coin off the bets he laid down with his friends as to whether he'd be able to get some camera time. That kind of antic I can get behind and respect.

What I cannot abide are the parents who feed the delusions of their no-talent, and in many cases, psychologically damaged, children. It's tragic that they allow this to go on. It's really cruel. I think a couple of states have grounds to prosecute these parents for abuse based on the parade of goons that flowed through the last two nights. But then, when you see how most of these parents react, you realize that the apple does not fall far from the tree, and that they are all eating from the same plate of crazy.

Do I think "Delusional Idol" is cruel? In most cases, no. Most of these idiots know what they are getting into. However, I won't even go into the whole Temptress thing (although why do parents name children things like that? You know that no good can come from that. None.) and the sob story that is her situation. And I think that a couple of the real, obviously mentally disturbed folks from tonight should never have gotten airtime, but instead should have been given counseling. But America loves a train wreck. And boy are we in for a season full this year. I'm just glad that I only have a couple of more episodes to watch until the auditions are over and I can look away.

Ugly, long day tomorrow. One day turn to New York City - 330AM wake up to make a 600AM flight and then back on the 5PM. Here's hoping the weather behaves. It won't - it's supposed to start snowing tonight....

2 comments:

kEllY said...

I can hardly even watch this phase of "Idol". It is just wrong!

Naomi said...

A couple of times I had to head to the other room--it was just too painful even for me to watch!

I did get a good laugh out the look on "Leia guy" when he willingly got his chest hairs waxed--that had to be seriously painful. And then Simon wouldn't even let him do his "Don't ya wish your girlfriend was HHHOTT like me." Painful on so many levels.