05 January 2008

"Change" - The Buzzword of 2008

Here we are, just five days into the New Year and the results of the Iowa caucuses have sent the nation's media into a full-blown grand mal seizure of coverage, with an unending use of the word "change," trumped only by the Chernobyl-esque meltdown of one Ms. Britney Spears. More on that travesty later...

The Iowa caucus results were interesting to watch. We were at the Bulls-Trailblazers game (Bulls looked pretty good in spite of losing in double OT - had Ben Wallace actually tried to make an effort they might have won) Thursday night so didn't really know what was going on until a friend of mine in DC (thanks, Zane!) texted me with some of the early results. When we got home from the game, Sarah was watching the results and filled us in further. Huckabee's win over the Republican snoozefest was not entirely surprising, but I was really pleased with Obama's win over She Whose Name We Dare Not Speak and the rest of the Democratic pack. It was a decisive win. It was funny to watch and hear how many times "change" was brought up by all the players. It's a lot of blowhard rhetoric and "change" is going to be the unending mantra, but I believe there is potential for positive change in this election cycle. I'm somewhat surprised at the way I'm leaning now...I figure my name will be stricken from the records of Maricopa Country Teen-Age Republicans....

Now, this another instance where I can't NOT say something, and of course it's about Ms. Britney Spears. While I think the media has said about all it can, I just have to give a shout out to Washington Post for giving her the Train Wreck of the Year award:

Probably the most deserved award ever. She's starting to make the late Anna Nicole Smith look like a model of stability. And that is a Herculean effort. I heard that Brit's mother (and I use that term loosely given what's happened to her children), Lynne, is asking the public for prayers on her daughter's behalf. Really? What publicist told her to do that? Is she thinking that will get her book back on the market? Suddenly playing the concerned mother. That's a nice touch.

Looking forward to a quiet weekend. It's not snowing nor is it freezing but it's the kind of weekend where you just want to curl up and relax. And NOT go to Costco!




No comments: