03 February 2009

Brazil - A Carnivore's Paradise

OK, vegetarians, vegans, and PETA fans, stop reading now. This is going to be a brief but enthusiastic ode to the carnivore's paradise that is Brazil.

I have had the opportunity to dine at an Uruguayan churrascaria, a Brazilian hamburger (LOVE THE PICANHA CUT!) joint, and an Argentine steakhouse. SLICE OF HEAVEN! The Uruguayan place takes the prize. The steak was incredible - just the right amount of fat and it was an incredible cut. The chimichurri sauce drew out the flavor of the meat. Each bite was something to savor. Time and time again. The hamburger place - wow. They did something with the cheese that was out of this world. The meals were all so distracting that I really didn't get any pictures. The Brazilians really know how to do a cut of meat. A protein bonanza. Awesome. And more awesome.

It's been a good conference here in Sao Paulo. The Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo is one of my favorite "city" hotels in the world. The speaker today at our general session was a 26 year old Brazilian lawyer who was born without arms and legs. Typically, I find speakers like there (motivational) to be a pile. This was an amazing presentation. This young man does not let anything get in his way. He's a champion samba drummer, a scuba diver, a lawyer, sings in a band, is married, and oh yeah, has two sons. His name is Marcos Rossi. Check him out here on YouTube. It's in Portugese, but give it a look. I was amazed by him to say the least. The whole room, 500 people, felt the power of his spirit and the entire room was in tears at the conclusion, including me. I had to follow him and close in three languages. A walk in the park it was not.

It's been good to be here. That being said, I'm ready to wrap it up and come home. I leave tomorrow. My upgrade to First cleared on Mother United so at least I'll have a lie-flat bed seat for the overnight flight tomorrow night. It'll be good to get home. But this much I know, I love Brazil.

No comments: