14 February 2009

Valentine's Day - I still vote no

The image on the left captures nicely, and, based on my Google image search, least offensively, my sentiments about the annual corporate-engineered (and profiteering) sap fest that is Valentine's Day. I can safely and proudly say that I have never supported this hollow celebration of one's adoration and/or love for another. I do not need any number of corporations, and you know who they are, telling me that I need to rush out and buy several things in order to prove or show my love to my "special someone." I'm not having it.

The stunningly patient SML, my wife of twenty years, knew this about me going in, so it wasn't like I sprung this on her after showering her with all manner of cards, candies, and flowers. If you ask her, she'll probably tell you that there's been a drought of cards, candies and flowers over the years. So some may say that's one of the reasons she's earned the title of "stunningly patient." It's not. Try living with me. Or the Boy. That's a one-two punch and it's not for the faint of heart.

Here's what I know and I don't need a day set apart on the calendar to express it, nor do I have to say it with a sappy card or anything else - I have loved the stunningly patient SML from the moment I saw her. Seriously. And I knew during our first date twenty-one years ago that I had found the reason that I wanted to be better every day and I knew I was not going to lose her. She missed that memo of enlightenment on that first date so I had my work cut out for me. And work I did. I still count my blessings each and every day that she agreed to marry me.

Twenty years later, here we are...we've done really well, I think. We've got three amazing children. We've experienced both good times and challenging times and been able to do things that I don't think either of us envisioned when we first got married. I am so lucky to have this amazing, beautiful woman as my best friend. I love her patience, her calm, her ability to see through my bravado and set me straight. I love how she has really raised our children (I've spent way too many years on the road and so much of raising the kids fell to her). I love the home she creates for us, no matter where we live. I love that she makes sure our home is one focused on Christ's principles. I love that she can't get a song lyric right to save her life - "O Shamu" instead of "Ocean Blue," sorry, ABC, but what's the diff? I love that she still loves wretched, wretched bands like Air Supply (I'd just as soon puke a lung than listen to them, but that's not important). I love that we laugh a lot. I love her.

After my mother first met the stunningly patient SML, she said to me, "You have no idea how lucky you are that she has agreed to marry you." To this day, my mother still says that. And she's right. I am a lucky, lucky man.
The stunningly patient SML and me-Manly Beach, Sydney, Australia, 2008.

So this as treacly and sappy as I get - I love my wife and I am forever grateful to her. She's amazing and I'd be a mess without her. End of story. So Happy Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

Julia said...

That was very sweet and loving. It certainly doesn't have to be canned,syrupy and sappy to express loving sentiments, as you just proved. We are lucky to have you as part if our family.