22 February 2009

On an early Sunday morning

I've never been much for sleeping in. Even when I was in college, I can't recall a time where I slept in much past 730AM (it didn't help that I had early classes or a morning job). I had friends who considered waking at noon to be too early. I have two daughters that are on that train. Not me. 600AM is almost late for me. I fear I may be turning into my dad - 330AM or 4AM wake ups are totally normal for him. I now get why the blue-hair/elderly set are at the buffet at 4PM - that's late dinner for them! But I digress...

I am up early this morning, as usual. Full day of getting religion on the docket. Pre-church meetings start at 9AM, then services at 1PM, with some post-meetings that will have me there until 530PM or 6PM. It makes for a long day, but typically, a fulfilling one. So looking forward to dinner tonight. We are having some friends over and tonight is Cuban night. We are doing black bean soup and ropa veija. We were going to do the tostone thing again but after our last debacle with tostones, the stunningly patient SML and I decided to hold off. We are trying a new dessert - tres leches cake. Now I am no fan of milk - I hate it - (it has been 22 almost 23 years since I've had a glass of milk) and I hate soggy food even more (texture just makes me want to hurl) but there's just something about tres leches cake. So the stunningly patient SML and I spent part of yesterday afternoon, prepping the cake as well as the carne for the ropa vieja.

It was one of those snowy Chicagoland afternoons where going outside was pretty unappealing so warming up in the kitchen was a cool alternative. We were reminded just how small our kitchen as we worked together (older midwestern homes are not known for their big, workable kitchens - galleys on the Boeing 777 are bigger and more workable than our stupid kitchen) but we still managed to get the job done. We enjoyed that time together - dare I say it was one of those idyllic moments:
Probably not as idyllic as this.

Speaking of idyllic, after dinner is over, it will be time to catch the latest episode of "The Amazing Race." Then I'll pack for my next trip - Mexico City on Monday morning. Thanks to Mother United canceling their non-stop between Chicago O'Hare and Mexico City, I'll be doing the United hub tour to get to/from Mexico City. If nothing else, it's more miles and segments to the "Dad I need an airplane ticket" fund. At least there's some tacos al pastor and nopal in my future. And maybe a stop at Quesadilla Maria Isabel. Indeed, that will happen. Back in the States on Thursday. Just to head downstate all day Saturday. The calendar is full. But that's better than the alternative I suppose.

No comments: