19 May 2010

Bummed about Bangkok

The ongoing political crisis in Bangkok, Thailand has been particularly poignant for me to watch. The last time I was in Bangkok, the "red shirts" were protesting bur had not yet built their city fortresses. It seemed like mild street protesting. I even walked through one of the protests to get to my tailor. I mean I had to get my new suit! And not once did I feel threatened.

The hotel I stayed at, the Centara Grand at Central World, is connected to Central World, one of the sites that was set aflame as the protests drew to their tragic end, and now, according to the Bangkok Post, it is on the verge of collapse. This picture shows the heavy plumes of black smoke emerging from Central World:


These events are tragic. The Thai people are truly some of the most peaceful, decent people I have ever met. I think much of that can be attributed to the Buddhist faith and their embrace of peace that makes the Thai people so amazing. I also think that is what kept these months of protest from turning into something much worse than what it already is. It's been a terrible thing but it could have been a far more horrendous bloodbath.

It's not over yet, according to the latest in The New York Times. I hope that this can be resolved without further bloodshed. The Thai people deserve it.

No comments: