09 May 2010

Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day and all's quiet here in the Den. It should be after the lunch we had to honor the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML. And thanks to Mother United to getting me home 2 1/2 hours ealier than expected yesterday, I actually had time to get a little prepared for the events of this day.

My pre-Church meetings were canceled this morning, which allowed us to ready breakfast in bed for our honoree. The Boy wanted to make breakfast, which consisted of dropping two waffles in the toaster and smearing them with peanut butter. My gift was not vomiting at the site or the smell. If you've not heard, I have a legendary revulsion to peanut butter. It's epic, but I digress. So, with the plate of peanut butter smeared waffles far enough from me so as not to make me puke, the Boy and I went upstairs, woke up CAL so she could be a part of the festivities and in we went to celebrate the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML. So cards and gifts were given, the waffles were enjoyed and then it was off to the races - Church.

Sidebar - I conducted services today and it was pathetic. Because I have a cold that has settled in my throat and I pretty much sound like Peter Brady when his voice cracked. You know the episode and you know the song. Sing it with me: "When it's time to change!"

Anyway, after Church, we set up the dining room for lunch. I cooked a roast (well, the crock pot did), Hassleback potatoes (red potatoes with slices of garlic jammed in them, covered in olive oil and sea salt), and carrots, plus rolls. We'll have dessert later - a lemon poppyseed bundt cake - as we watch the finale of "The Amazing Race." PS - if the bigoted and ignorant Caite and Brent win, I will...well, to say be sorely disappointed does not even begin to cover it.

I'm grateful that my three children have been blessed with an amazing mother. They are who they are because of her - truly. And I am most grateful for the examples of motherhood that have profoundly impacted me - my own mother and my mother-in-law. They are amazing women and their influence for good has been and still is, profound. I am fortunate to have them in my life.

I am, however, fortunate not to have these two as mothers in my life:
Lucille Bluth of "Arrested Development" - Fox's finest hour. Ever. Brilliant. If you haven't watched her in action, you need to. You'll call your mother and thank her for all she's done for you.
Colleen Donaghy of "30 Rock" - More brilliant than the aforementioned Lucille Bluth.

I will watch every one of her appearances on the show over and over. Her relationship with son Jack is hysterical. She blames him for JFK's death and tried to send him to Vietnam when he was 12 to make him a man. He believes she faked a heart attack to ruin his first honeymoon. He accidentally ran her over and broke her hip. Jack once said to her, "Mother, there are terrorist cells that are more nurturing than you are."

That, my friends, is genius. Pure genius. And it reminds me why I am so blessed to have the mom that I do. She is amazing and wonderful. I could not have asked for a better mother-in-law. She raised an incredible daughter, who continues to stand by me and make me a better man. And for that I am forever thankful.

No comments: