21 May 2010

Friday (Not) Funny

As I scroll through Blogger using the "next blog" feature, on Fridays, a lot of blogs feature a "Friday Funny." Usually some kind of video, cartoon, or a NSFW picture. Nice.

I'm going to contribute my own today, on this Friday:


Why this and why does it make for the Friday (Not) Funny? Well, let's see...

I had a physical today. There was an unexpected surprise.
EKG was excellent
BP was excellent
Weight was fine
Everything was going along fine. Until she mentioned the change in prostate testing. That's when things became decidedly unfunny. Turns out, the age for prostate testing has come down from 50 to a couple of times while in your 40's. Lovely. Since I'm sliding (bad choice of word) into to my mid-40's, it was time for the snapping of the rubber glove.

So she calls in her nurse and the not fun began. Wearing the paper gown that I could not tie properly, I get told to lay face down across the exam table and that I'm going to feel some pressure. Any of you familiar with Brian Regan and his awesome routine about your doctor telling you're going to feel some pressure, you know no good can come from that statement. This was especially true now, given where the doctor was heading. I won't go into further detail, but let's just say, pressure was felt and it was highly unpleasant. Nothing funny about it. Nothing at all. I'll say this, that exam makes for a fine torture tactic. Maybe the fascists running Arizona will employ this to get suspected illegal immigrants to show their papers...

And that little adventure set the tone for the rest of my day. Lovely. I hope that the day does close on a funny note. With the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML out of town still at her work conference, CAL, the Boy and I are going to get some dinner and go see "Shrek Forever After." I hope it doesn't blow.

No comments: