07 May 2010

Hoppin' Friday Night at ORD

Hindsight is 20/20, right? Yes, yes it is. I'm being reminded of that as we speak. I am in the Red Carpet Club at ORD with my mom, waiting for our flight back to PHX. When I booked this flight, it seemed like a good idea. It really did. It was not. Here's why...

My day started at 430AM. Woke up to a nice, Midwest thunderstorm but found I could not go back to sleep. So I was at my office desk by 500AM and there I pretty much stayed until 4PM. Long, busy day but I had booked a later flight so I could get in a full day, and I I got my wish. the kids had a half day so Mom wanted very much to take them to a movie before we left and she did that. She also wanted to take us to an early dinner at Courtney's workplace, and we did that. You get the picture - she's had a big day.

Now that winter is over and highway construction season is in full swing, our routes to ORD are chock-a-block with traffic. So I wanted to give ourselves ample time to get there. We got the airport just before 6PM and got checked in and then began the wait for a wheelchair. Apparently every person in need of a wheelchair decided to fly tonight. So when the guy showed up with the chair, my mom and I both did a double-take. He needed the chair more than most. But he was here and ready to push (well, kind of push - it was more like Tim Conway's 'Oldest Man' shuffle from the 'Carol Burnett Show'). It took us close to 30 minutes to shuffle from the B Concourse to where we are now on the C Concourse. And it's madness here...lots of flights canceled or delayed tonight, and tragedy of tragedies for those who drink white wine, they ran out of the "House White" and based in the epic fit one guy was throwing, apparently that's bad thing (another reason I'm glad I don't drink).

So our flight is showing on time but we don't land in PHX until 1030PM. It's going to be a long, long day for Mom, when all is said and done. Like I said, it sounded like a good idea at the time, when I booked this flight. Here's hoping we get out on time...

No comments: