02 June 2010

It's National Running Day


How many of you knew that today, June 2, was National Running Day? You can stop scurrying to Wikipedia to find out more now. Just click on "National Running Day" above to learn more.

I wouldn't have known it was National Running Day either if I hadn't gotten a heads up from the gang at CARA. So it's not the most widely publicized of days and I don't imagine that Hallmark has a card for it (I just checked their website and they don't offer said card - frankly, I'm relieved).

I am proud to call myself a runner. I'm not a fast runner. I don't think I'll win my age group until I'm in my late 70's. I am fine with that. I run for how it makes me feel. I run to stay healthy. I run to think and sometimes, not to think. Running allows me to see the world from an entirely different perspective. I like what I see, for the most part.

I've gone from being overwhelmed at the thought of running a 5K to completing my first half marathon.
Right before my first 5K, June 2008
Me and my medal from my first half, May 2010

So, honor this day by going for a run...even if that's from the couch to the bathroom. Just run. Read this article from Runner's World for some additional thoughts on how to celebrate. I'll run tonight. What are you going to do?

No comments: