27 November 2010

The Boy gets his permit

A few posts ago I mentioned that the Boy was most anxious to get his permit to drive and after a few practice driving runs in empty parking lots and his first full week of driving school, not through the school thank you very much little, today was the day.  The day.

He swore six ways 'til Sunday that he'd studied the manual, not just the practice test his driving school had given him.  I quizzed him last night and he seemed to know his stuff.  We got up a little early in order to get to the dreaded DMV early, anticipating a nasty line.  I was not excited about this as it was really cold this morning and I was not looking forward to stranding in 15 - 20 degree temps.  I shouldn't have worried.  We got there at 750AM and they had opened early! 

Editorial aside - seriously, what government agency opens early, anticipating a crowd?  What government agency is fully, and I mean fully staffed on a Saturday morning after a two-day holiday?  The Illinois DMV in Naperville, that's who.  Man, am I impressed!  Every time I've had to do something with them (registering three out-of-state vehicles, four drivers' licenses, and one permit), they have been unfailingly polite, efficient and, dare I say it, helpful.  Say what you will about Illinios government, since we deserve most of it, but Secretary of State Jesse White runs an awesome operation!

Anyway, 30 minutes later, we were out of there, and the Boy had a permit in hand.  He is now legally permitted to drive with either me or the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML.  He wanted to drive home from the DMV but we had my car, so that was not going to happen.  Not because I have the nicest car ever (I mean it's a nice car) but it's big (for a new driver) and it's new and I am not risking it.  So we got home and it was in to the beloved Taurus.  I have to admit that his first legal foray onto the roads was a good one.  He was deadly serious about it and took his new responsibilities seriously.  I still feel like we need one of these in the back of whatever car he's driving:
So another chapter in the adventure that is life here in the Den is now underway.  We'll see where this one takes us.  This much I know, I am so not eager to see how quickly it takes us to the poor house when I have to add the Boy to the car insurance plan.  My wallet heart aches at the thought.

No comments: