20 November 2010

Same day turn to Toronto - a trip report

It dawned on me recently that there are only about six weeks left in the working year and one of those weeks is already blocked for my annual core leave at the end of the year.  I looked at my vacation calendar bank and saw that I still have five days to burn so I decided to burn a voucher I'd won and march off to Toronto for the day.  Why?  Why not?  Well, it let me fan the fire of my airline dork-dom by flying a new airline and fly into a new airport, plus eat a really good sandwich, so it was a win-win-win.  So here's what went down yesterday:

I was flying from Chicago's Midway Airport to Toronto's Billy Bishop City Center Airport on Porter Airlines.  As a loyal, "Rhapsody in Blue"-bleeding Global Services member/devotee of United Airlines, I've steadfastly avoided Midway - never flown out of there Midway, only landing there a couple of times on diversions.  So I headed out early since I was on a 640AM departure and I'm glad I did.  Parking was a snap, but the lines at Security were hideous.  At 510AM, the lines were snaking back towards the check-in area and they weren't moving.  Apparently a lot of people were anxious for this TSA grope-o-rama:
Honestly, TSA?  Is this really necessary?  I hope you at least bought this guy dinner.
After twenty minutes of not moving, some genius in airport management decided to open the "expert traveler" lane, in which I was standing, to the employee only line.  This was great, but we were berated for ten minutes by another crack TSA agent about how we better not slow down his employee line.  Way to go, TSA, way to go.

It was a quick march to my gate, conveniently near a Potbellys,  Nothing like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie at 6AM to soothe the jangled nerves after a run-in with the TSA.  My flight boarded at 620AM and it was quick as there were only eight, count 'em, eight of us on this flight.  A load factor of only 11% on this flight - cannot remember when I've seen that empty a flight.  Anyway, it was like every seat was a First Class seat.  Porter is all-coach but the seats are leather with ample leg room.  The plane, a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400, is a little rocket.  We were airborne fast and soon after take-off, a light snack was served (and it was FREE! - US airlines take note):
And even the OJ was served in a real glass
With such a light load, it was an easy service for the crew and it was a beautiful day for flying.  See the view from my seat, 3A:
In less than 90 minutes, we began our descent into Toronto's close-in Billy Bishop City Center Airport.  Landing was fast and clearing Canadian customs was a snap.  Then took the ferry, yes, the ferry, from the airport to the mainland.  Then grabbed Porter's free shuttle to the Fairmont Royal York Hotel in central Toronto.  I set off to explore a little of central Toronto by foot.  After several stops, including the Bay to score a set of 2010 Winter Games gloves that the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML had wanted, I made my way to the Sandwich Box for an amazing sandwich.  This place does hand-crafted, grilled sandwiches that don't disappoint.  I had a prosciutto, arugula, and provolone slathered in roasted cumin and garlic on a Swiss roll with a side salad that was incredible.  Made the whole trip.  Of course, I failed to take a picture.  Idiot!

After lunch, I strolled around a bit more and then made my way back to the Fairmont to catch the bus to the ferry and to the airport. 
View of the CN Tower from the ferry heading back to the airport
 Clearing Canadian security was grope-free and easy.  Then it was into Porter's lounges.  The gate areas are set up as lounges, including free wireless, snacks and drinks and it's a totally civilized way to go.  What a pleasant way to go!  Soon, it was time to get back on the plane.  Load factor was much better this time, closer to 80%.

I had two seats to myself for the flight back.  Good crew again.  During the demo, the flight attendant standing in the aisle next to my seat had to tell the two yutzes in the row behind me to basically shut up since they were being so loud.  Good for her.  Once again, rocket-like take-off into a beautiful sky.  It was a smooth flight with free snacks and two drink runs.  I read a bit from my Kindle (a very academic read on life in North Korea - close to 900 pages and it's taking me awhile to get through it) until we landed.  Quick 90 minute flight.

Cleared US Customs at Midway in a room not much bigger than a closet.  Chicago has to have the nicest Customs agents in the entire US system.  They are unfailingly pleasant.  Even at O'Hare during a crush of flights, they are cool.  I was in my car in about ten minutes and on my way home.  Because it was a Friday night at rush hour, I spent more time sitting on the Stevenson (non) Expressway than I did on the plane on the way back.  All in all, a good day!

No comments: