26 November 2010

Thankful, thankful I'm not working at Disney

It's been a good Thanksgiving here in the Den.  Much to be grateful for and recognize that we have been blessed tremendously.  I know that, in spite of myself, I've been blessed beyond measure and I'm glad we took time yesterday to count a blessing or two.

It was a good day.  Of course, on that day of excessive eating, it started with me making pumpkin pancakes and frying up the sweetest meat blessing ever - bacon.  After that, the kitchen was dedicated to the elements of Thanksgiving dinner for which we were responsible - rolls, wheat and white, "killer" salad, and potatoes, mashed and sweet.  So in between food work, we watched a movie and then headed over to our friends for dinner.  As we sat around their table, I marveled at the blessing of friends.  I'm quite certain it was not the high I was on from the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML's mashed sweet potatoes, which were absolutely epic this year.  No, I really was grateful for friends, those we were with and those afar, and family. 

So after dinner we did that most American of things - went to the movies.  Now we had seven people, all with varying movie tastes, including three really hoping for "Jackass 3D" (I'll let you guess who that was) and then votes for "chick flicks."  So we decided to go with the least offensive option, Disney's "Tangled."  My thoughts - this was a mistake.

As the movie opened, Disney proudly proclaimed that it was their 50th animated film.  Umm, Imagineers, you may want to rethink your approach.  It was the standard Disney schlock, including a lot of spontaneous breaking into song, over the top thugs, cutesy animals, and you know it wouldn't be a Disney film without it, the elimination of parents.  Seriously, if you believed what happens in pretty much every Disney movie, you'd learn that parents are killed or missing-in-action, and you are either orphaned or watched over by some horrible person/creature/ogre, etc.  I cannot even begin to imagine what went down in the lives of the Disney creative folks but my help, people, can't you please work out your issues with a therapist!?  Why must you inflict your issues on the rest of us?  Is it a requirement that you have major parental issues to work there?  Seriously, LET IT GO!

And, now it's Black Friday, and happy to say we won't be a part of the madness.  Who needs it?  Not me.

No comments: