15 November 2010

"I've fallen and I can't get up!"

"I've fallen and I can't get up!" Ah, how many of you remember the dulcet tones of that elderly lady, screeching away as she pushed on her Life Alert, seeking help.  C'mon, admit it now, you laughed at that commercial.  It was funny.  Here it is:

But most of us, as we watched it, never envisioned having to use one.  I'm not at that point, yet, but we did get a LifeAlert for my Mom last year after my Dad died.  It's been a source of reassurance for the family, especially us, living so far away.  We learned a valuable lesson last night about it.  It only works when you wear it.  Here's the brief version:

Mom was in her garage putting away some books (first mistake), which required her to get on a small stepladder (second mistake), and as she stepped off, she missed the last step (third mistake, albeit wholly unintentional) and down she went.  She tried to break her fall with her right arm and she did break her fall, although one could easily argue its success since she managed to break her arm, the humerus bone, about four inches below the shoulder.  As  you can imagine, the pain was pretty awful and she wasn't going anywhere.  And this is where the fourth mistake reared its ugly head - she wasn't wearing her LifeAlert.  It was in the house.  So Mom pounded on her garage door until a neighbor's son (still not sure if I have the detail correct) heard her and got the paramedic fiesta rolling.  So it was another ambulance ride for Mom.

Mercifully, it was a very clean break and the doctors are confident that she'll heal.  We are so lucky it wasn't a more serious break and even more lucky that it wasn't a hip.  The hip breaks and all bets are off.  So my brother and sister are on the situation like white on rice and in talking to Mom today, she seems OK.  She wouldn't talk to me for awhile, knowing I was more than a little displeased about her not wearing the LifeAlert.  I'll save my lecture for her until the meds have worn off.

Bottom line is that she's going to be fine.  We are very fortunate.  So word to the wise - if someone you know is using a LifeAlert or similar device, make sure they use the dang thing!  It's only good if you where it.

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

Hey Mike - I am sooo glad your mom is ok. It was my brother Don Patterson that actually heard her - and he was really lucky he did! I guess she had been out there for awhile and it had been cold at night. I'm so thankful that he decided to go to my mom's that night. If there is anything Brad and I can do for her - please let us know :)