31 May 2011

Father of the Bride...to be

It's official, as if my previous post wasn't enough of a clue.  Our Lady of BYU and Awesome are engaged.  They were engaged a few nights ago during another epic midwestern evening thunderstorm.  Awesome found a good spot on the DuPage River that runs through our little downtown to make his proposal and the best part is that Our Lady was completely surprised.  She'd expected that he'd make the proposal once they got back to UT, but Awesome had other plans.  We were very honored that he did it while they were here.  It was sweet (yeah, don't hate, I said sweet) to see just how excited they are. 
This is the reenactment - the next day when it wasn't in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Her ring
I'm pleased to say the Our Lady and Awesome are off to a good start.  There is a lot to be done before the wedding, which is in about 90 days.  Nothing like a Mormon wedding timeline.  It's become readily apparent that my role in all of this is that of money changer and that is it.  I'm still trying to deal with my eviction from Denial Land so it's probably just as well that I'm not involved in a whole lot more.

I've noticed though that ever since the engagement was announced that almost uniformly, the response to me is something like this, "Ha!  Have you seen 'Father of the Bride'?  You are so that Dad!  You have to watch it.  We want to watch it with you!'  One of my employees said to me today, "Just don't go and dye your hair, like the dad in 'Father of the Bride'."  As I recall, and it's been a long, long time since I saw the movie, Steve Martin was more than a little freaked by his daughter's impending marriage.  I'm the first to admit that I'm a little freaked, but as I think about the time we spent with Awesome last week, I get a little less freaked.  I do not plan to buy a sports car, nor get my hair dyed before Our Lady's wedding.  I don't think we'll be hiring a wedding planner of murky ethnic descent either.  I am going to indulge all those that are saying watch the movie.  It'll be a good reminder of some of the things to come, I suppose.  Now to find the time to watch this:
I just read that tagline - "A comedy about letting go."  Maybe I won't watch it yet.  I'm not quite ready for that 'letting go' part.

No comments: