22 May 2011

Meeting Awesome

While I've got a few minutes of quiet this Sunday afternoon, I figured it was a good time to get some thoughts down about the week ahead.  Lots going on.

Today has already brought Church, where I had to lead the third hour combined adult meeting.  We are challenging our ward to create 100 profiles here.  So we tried to harness the power of technology as best we could around an extremely tempermental wireless signal to create a cool presentation.  You can only do so much in a building that is 900 years old and was never built for a day beyond rotary phones, let alone wireless signals.  But after more than a few prayers and a couple of colorful words (in the style of J. Golden Kimball, and ALL in my head), it worked.  So as a Bishopric, we got the challenge out there and we're hopeful our ward family will participate.

We have two graduations this week, both for CAL.  One is Seminary graduation tonight and then her high school graduation on Wednesday.  Seminary is a four-year, early morning (6AM start) religious education program and CAL has completed it.  She will also, as noted, graduate from high school.  It's been a rigorous four years and we're really proud of her.  It will be emotional to see her cross the stage Wednesday and accept her diploma.  She'll soon be off to BYU-Idaho for university and the next phase of her life.  She's ready to go.  It's hard to let go.  It doesn't get any easier with the second one.

CAL's graduation will also bring a visit from my in-laws and it will be good to see them.  It also heralds the return of Our Lady of BYU.  This time she's not coming home alone.  No, this time she's got company.  A boy.  And, per her, he's awesome.  Yep, awesome.  Every time I ask her to tell me about this young man all she tells me is the following, "Dad, he's awesome."

Well, we've raised a smart girl and I'm sure he's awesome.  I'm looking forward to meeting him.  No, really I am.  It's just that this is new territory.  My daughters aren't fools and they are very particular when it comes to boys.  So when I get my oldest is announcing, "Dad, he's awesome," I know it's time to pay attention.

It's going to be an interesting week.

2 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Hm. "Awesome". That's a lot of pressure for him to live up to. Good luck to him.

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

Shudder.
(I have one daughter, about the same age.)
Shudder.